Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Scones

So today I am watching the television, my kids are home from school for the day. I'm thinking I should bake something. I decided on making some scones. Well I have a tried and tested recipe, but I decided to try another scone recipe to see how it bakes up.

I found that it was very sticky so I would say reduce the milk quantity from 2/3 cup to 1/2 cup or add the milk a little at a time just in case you don't need as much.

Outside of that change the recipe was ok. But I forgot to add the raisins. You know scones are not sweet, so not having the raisins means you need to add jam or jelly to give it that extra something.
I did however, sprinkle a little sugar on the tops. That did help quite a bit.

Here is a pic below and I will share the recipe as well with my changes.


Ingredients

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 beaten egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup Raisins
 
     Directions
     
  • Heat oven to 400 F.
  • Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
  • Using pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
  • Combine milk, egg and vanilla.
  • Add to flour mixture slowly; stir until dry ingredients are moistened.
  • Stir in raisins.
  • Turn dough out onto a floured surface, sprinkle with a little flour and lightly knead.
  • Flatten inot round circle and cut dough into 8-inch round
  • Plcae on ungreased cookie sheet.
  • Sprinkle with additional sugar, if desired.
  • Bake at 400F for 15 to 20 minutes.
  • Serve warm and enjoy

 I have some pumpkin that is about to make a debut in some dessert I'm about to make. Stay tuned.

Always remember to take life one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment